She’s done it again. In one deck, Mary Meeker summarized so well many of the trends we’ve been seeing as and in doing so developed new insights around what’s around the bend.
Here’s my top 5 takeaways:
- The iPad is going to be even bigger than iPhone—Its adoption is ramping MUCH faster than iPhone which already was a massively quickly adopted device (It was just 4 years ago I was carrying a Razr feature phone). (Slide 15)
- USA is now a minority on the Internet — China added more Internet users in the last 3 years than exist in the United States (Slide 7)
- eCommerce is recovering much faster than Retail Sector as a whole (Slide 29)
- Mobile Commerce in 2011 is 4X that of 2009 — eBay’s Marketplace and PayPal apps are doing exceedingly well (which makes me proud). (Slide 31)
- USA developed mobile OS’s have gone from a 5% share in 2005 to 64% in 2011. This bodes well for jobs in Silicon Valley and shows we’ve still got it in this country. (Slide 45)